Friday, March 4, 2016

Patience

I've just returned from a short trip to visit my cousin who suffered multiple strokes several months ago.  She "saved my life" a long time ago.  I'd like to save hers.  What I learned in my time with her this week, was she needs to save her own life.  I can walk with her, encourage her, prod and push her, feed her.  But it's up to her to want and choose to live, and then take on the very hard tasks of doing so.

I wanted to fix things, to shove food and encouragement.  What I learned was this is a slow fix, a very slow recovery.  IF she chooses. I know choosing life is about more than bodily sustenance and improvement.  I know it's also the choice to love God and trust that God gives us life eternal.




I learned about being patient.  Most of the time.  All of us have our own rhythms in life; mine has some impatient rhythms, some hurry-up, some what's-taking-so-long times.

So I was gifted slow-down time:  baby-bites, tiny sips, reaching back to memories times.

And nap times where I sat while she napped.  I have to confess that I wasn't always able to sit still, so I would walk the halls and did manage to get my 10,000 steps while slowing down and being patient.

Lent is a time of slowing down, and a time of reflection.  Being with my cousin provided me with lots of reflections of my life- my growing up years, my growing into years, and now my more mature years. She has a deep place in all my life years, especially the saving my life long ago years.

Words of Deuteronomy fill my thoughts. "Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him."    
                                                                                       Deuteronomy 30:19-20

I know this passage is telling us that choosing life means loving God and walking in God's ways. 

For me, it also is a plea to my cousin: "Now choose life!"  On my way to my hotel one evening I found a beautiful Episcopal church nearby where I stopped to pray. 

Now Choose Life.



No comments:

Post a Comment