Friday, March 25, 2016

Good Friday

For the past 58 years I have had a special conversation with a very special person on Good Friday.  When I was a teenager with "growing pains" I reached out to my cousin for conversation and care.  She responded with her heart, with her wisdom.  And we ended that day in church- it was Good Friday.

She saved my life.  Every Good Friday after that I called her to talk, and to thank her for saving my life. We filled the conversation with how our lives had been filled since we last spoke on the previous Good Friday.

Things are different this year.  She died a few days before Good Friday.  But she left me the gift of her voice on a voice text that her daughter made.  It was the Friday before Good Friday.  So I had my conversation a tad early, and in a unique format.  That voice text will stay with me, and I'll listen to it for all the Good Friday's ahead of me.

I walked the labyrinth at my church today.  I prayed and I spoke.  I believe she listened.


Lenten Roses are planted near the entrance to the labyrinth.  Like clockwork they bloom at the beginning of Lent, and then fade as Lent ends and we have the joy of the Sunday of the Resurrection.  Promises made and promises kept.



Earlier today I walked along the river.  And adjacent to the path was this sight.


I feel her beside me on this Good Friday and I know she hears me say, "Thank you for saving my life".

No comments:

Post a Comment