Monday, March 3, 2014

Lent 2014

The Season of Preparation.

"Don't forget how the Lord your God has led you through the desert for the past forty years.  He wanted to find out if you were truly willing to obey him and depend on him."
                                                                                                   Deuteronomy 8:2

A year later - preparing for another Lent, also preparing for return to Tybee Island.

Easter falls late this year, so Tybee Time falls late as well.

I'm thinking about my personal Lenten practice for this period of preparation, of anticipation.

Always I give up some food or foods, things that provide little nourishment, may do me harm, yet taste so good.

Always I try to take on something.  Study, service, intentional movement, prayer.

I find I have words and phrases bubbling around my mind.  I think I'll make an effort to dig deeper into these and see what they have to teach me.  I can't promise there will be a "gem" each day during Lent, but we'll see what turns up.




It's been a long and cold winter in the Southern Appalachians.  I'm am so ready to see green!  My lilac is budding out in green, promising leaves to come.  But no blooms are promised.  That's a real disappointment.  Still, there is that promise of green and for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment