Sunday, April 20, 2014

Good Friday

This Good Friday has a hold on me - a kind of tug, tugging at me all day.  I can't shake it.  I'm mindful of the day and the moment.

I'm thought-filled of my life this day.  Definitely at the latter part of my life, and that does get my attention.  I'm hopeful there is much time ahead of me- time in which to not waste a moment, or an opportunity, or a hand.

I've set out today to be intentional about my activities, about my reading, about my hearing.  Reading about the dark, reading the BCP Good Friday Liturgy, reading about social justice and how the path of nature can serve the way to justice, all while listening to music of Taize and of the Iona Community.

I've had THE phone call.  Every Good Friday my bestest cousin and I talk.  We recognize and give tribute to that Good Friday some sixty plus years ago when she "saved my life".  That day she listened to my heart, and the we attended the Good Friday service at her church. And this day we talked and listened to each other's hearts.  We both see a shorter time ahead than behind.  Still, we both believe there is much in front of us.

I've struggled for some years now with my parish church.  It has not been a place where I can easily find worship.  I have not been to church today.  It has been a place where some words have made me uncomfortable.  Still, there have been many more words that have made it possible to me to feel in rich and joyous community.  It's a balancing act for me.

Twenty-two years ago I opened up my past and my heart.  I sought reconciliation with God.  I found that reconciliation and that new path for me to walk with God.  I found one who from then on would share that path of faith and friendship.  Paths along the seas, paths along the mountains, city and country paths; paths to ways to serve God, paths to be with God's people.

I have much for which to be grateful, much for which to rejoice.  I recognize my obligation to respond in kind.  Yes, I feel the tug.



No comments:

Post a Comment